The Old Vestry - Sunday Roast

 My choice for Mother’s Day was The Old Vestry, located on Fawcett Street in Sunderland. I’ve had food from the main menu before and even afternoon tea but I’d never tried their Sunday Lunch menu… until now!

I chose the Sunday roast with gammon. The meat, potatoes and Yorkshire pudding came out on the main plate and a bowl of seasonal vegetables came out separate so you can help yourself. I put the whole lot on my plate as I love veg and it was all lovely and fresh.

I’m not a big lover of mashed potato but this one was seasoned so well that I ate the lot. It was very tasty. Not a frozen roast potato or Yorkshire pudding in sight, all cooked from scratch. 

I love it when you get stuffing on your plate even if it’s not with chicken. Lovely meaty gravy with not a lump to be found. The gammon was more of a steak than sliced from a joint but very tasty all the same. 10/10 as far as Sunday roasts go for me!

My husband had the Hunters Chicken with homestyle chips and peas. I was very jealous of the chips as they are my fave! He said the chicken was lovely and moist (I know that’s not a very nice word but it describes chicken perfectly 🤣)


The kid’s had fish bites, chips & beans and chicken nuggets, chips & beans. Again homestyle chips to make me drool 🤤 and both the chicken and fish were proper meat/fish as I call it, not the processed crap you can get! The portion sizes were very generous, filled my 12 year old and defeated my 10 year old.

Our adult mains were £8.95 each and the kid’s meals were £4.50 each. We could’ve had two courses for £10.95 or three courses for £14.95 but we couldn’t possibly fit anything else in.



I was very happy with my choice for Mother’s Day this year and I am so glad I’ve tried the Sunday roast now as it will be one of my go-to places from now on. Happy family today with full bellys!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tino’s Italian Restaurant

Inflatanation Newcastle

The Clifton Cafe